Marijuana vs Hemp
No, the Cannabis products you’re giving to your pets are not the same as what you would find at Woodstock. While marijuana and hemp come from the same plant, Cannabis Sativa, marijuana’s THC content (the chemical which gets you “high”) is usually between 10 and 15 percent; but hemp must have a THC content of 0.3 percent or less. At this level, cannabis has no intoxicating effect, for people or pets. Hemp is higher in CBD, the substance that provides the therapeutic effects, and as such, medicinal CDB products are typically derived from hemp rather than marijuana.
How does CBD work?
CDB is short for cannabidiol, one of over 60 chemicals found in Cannabis called cannabinoids. The two main types of cannabinoids are cannabidiol (CBD) and tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). CBDs are the therapeutic cannabinoids, while THC is the cannabinoid that gets you high. CBD does not have any psychoactive effects, and therefor does not alter your consciousness in any way.
All vertebrates have something called an endocannabinoid system, a nervous (or communication) system that exists throughout our entire body. This system works in reverse from how most nervous systems function, and instead of sending signals from the brain to the body, it sends signals from the body to the brain.
Two main cannabinoid receptors have been identified: CB1 receptors and CB2 receptors. CB1 receptors are found primarily in the nervous system, connective tissue, gonads, glands, and organs. CB2 receptors are located in the immune system and its associated structures.
Endo means inside, and this means that the body produces its own form of cannabinoids. Our endocannabinoids are not nearly as strong as phytocannabinoids (the ones found in Cannabis), but they are so similar that they “fit” into the same receptors. You can think of the receptors as locks and the cannabinoids as keys. If we can supply extra keys to these nerve receptors, we can alter the signals that the nerves send to the brain.
How can our pets benefit from CBD products?
The use of CBD products may be beneficial in the treatment the following conditions:
- Autoimmune diseases
- Loss of appetite
- Chronic Pain
- Cognitive (brain) function
- Deteriorating quality of life
- Digestive issues
- Fatty tumors
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Joint and mobility issues
- Skin problems
As with any herbal medicine, for most ailments you may not see an immediate effect. You’ll need to be patient to fully see how it benefits your pet’s condition. Your pet may feel some pain relief in a few hours but other symptoms like inflammation may take a few days to show improvement.
How to give and dose CDB
There is no one-size-fits-all solution to dosing, and each pet may respond differently. We recommend starting slow with 1/4-1/2 of the recommended dose, increasing every couple days until you reach your desired effect. CBD can take 30 mins-1hr to take effect, so give each dose time before giving more product.
CBD is very safe and has no known drug interactions, and it is safe to exceed stated dosage levels if needed, as there is no risk of overdosing CBD. You can repeat doses every 4-8 hours or as needed.
We have several CBD products to suit you and your pet’s needs
- Uses hemp terpenes, which also have some medicinal benefits, instead of CBD
- Hemp terpenes work together with CBD to increase its effects, making it great to pair with CBD products for pets which require high doses of CBD
- Flavoured and unflavoured to help finicky pets readily accept the oil
- Available in 2 strengths, containing 4mg and 10mg of terpenes per mL
- Organic and non-GMO
- The most highly-concentrated product we carry, this is a great option for moderate to severe conditions or large pets that would otherwise require high amounts of product
- Available in two strengths containing 10mg of CBD per mL and 26mg per mL.
- Each batch is tested for quality and purity assurance.
- Treats are a great alternative for picky pets who don’t like oils
- More portable than liquid for travelling
- 4mg of CBD per treat
- Made with raw goat’s milk for vitamins, minerals, probiotics and amino acids
- Added hemp protein which is high in omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. It is also high in fiber, which helps prevent blood sugar spikes and maintains energy
- 2.6mg of CBD per ounce rehydrated