Sometimes dogs get an upset tummy and with that can unfortunately come doggy diarrhea, on the other hand there may be no upset tummy but instead; constipation. Either way these products are here to help clean up any “digestive” problems your dog may be having, think of them as ‘Doggy Pepto-Bismol’. It’s important to keep an eye on your pet’s elimination habits as the quantity, color, texture, smell, and the presence of mucus or blood are all indicators of your pet’s general well being.
There is a difference between constipation and having difficulty pooping. Constipation is when your dog is straining again and again with nothing coming out. Difficulty to poop is when your dog is straining but still able to pass a bowel movement
There are natural laxatives such as coconut oil, but often your pup is only in need of a little more fibre. Products such as canned or raw pumpkin are very popular when it comes to helping your pooch out as it works quickly to both firm up and loosen your dog’s stool.
A few reasons your dog may be constipated are;
- Dehydration, not enough dietary fiber, lack of exercise
- Swallowing a foreign object like a piece of cloth, part of a shoe, or rocks
- Intestinal obstruction, including tumors
- Infected anal glandsor a hip or pelvic injury that causes pain during defecation
- The effects of surgery, some medications, and iron supplements
- Stress brought on by a change in routine or surroundings