This Feeding Calculator is meant to be used as a guideline or starting point for your pet who is eating a raw food diet. Overtime you may need to adjust the feeding amounts based off of your pet’s physical appearance.
A lean physique is ideal for a dog or cat in order to keep their heart, joints and everything in between healthy. Look for a curved indentation in the area of the waist and ensure that the ribs can be felt with your hands easily without being overly visible.
If your pet needs to gain or lose weight we recommend that you calculate the amount of raw food using their ideal weight as this is the healthiest and safest way to stabilize their weight. We’ve provided additional information below the calculator explaining how we’ve reached the calculated amounts of food.
The calculations above are based on the principles below:
For adult Dogs Under 15 lbs with a moderate activity level:
- Up to 5 lbs: 5% of their body weight
- From 6-10 lbs: 4% of their body weight
- From 11-15 lbs: 3% of their body weight
- To gain or lose weight: +1% or -1% accordingly
For adult Dogs Over 15 lbs with a moderate activity level:
- 2% of their body weight to maintain
- To gain or lose weight: 2% of target weight
Puppies may need as much as 10% of their body weight in food and pregnant and lactating dams also need an increase throughout gestation and especially during lactation.
- From 2-4 months: 6-10% of their body weight
- From 4-7 months: 4-5% of their body weight
- From 7-12 months: 3-4% of their body weight
- From 12+ months: 2% of their body weight
Pregnant & Lactating Dams:
- Gestation from 0-5 weeks: 2% of their body weight
- Gestation from 5 weeks-delivery: 3% of body weight
- Lactation from 1-3 weeks: 3-4% of body weight
- Lactation from 3+ weeks: 5-6% of body weight
Follow this general range according to your cat’s weight:
- 4lb adult cat: 90g-100g of raw food per day
- 8lb adult cat: 100g-113g of raw food per day
- 12lb adult cat: 113g-125g of raw food per day
- 16lb adult cat: 125g-160g of raw food per day
- 20lb adult cat: 160g-200g of raw food per day
- 24lb adult cat: 200g-227g of raw food per day
The calculations above reflect the total amount of food per day including all meat, bone, and organ.