Organic Olive Leaf Powder is a natural antibiotic (without the upset-stomach side effects). But this powerful herb has a long list of other therapeutic powers. Here’s what you need to know about olive leaf for pets.
Olive leaf is a potent antimicrobial with antibacterial, antiviral, and antifungal properties. Its main active ingredient, oleuropein, boosts the immune system and fights pathogens, including yeast fungi.
Benefits of supplementing with Olive Leaf Power:
- Natural Antibiotic: Olive leaf has the ability to deactivate pathogenic bacteria without harming the healthy microbes in your dog’s gut and mucous membranes. Medical antibiotics wipe out both good and bad microorganisms, leading to short or long-term digestive upset. Use olive leaf extract for your dog as a powerful antimicrobial that will target strains of bad bacteria without harming healthy bacteria.
- Fight Kennel Cough: Olive leaf extract boasts antimicrobial properties. Another study noted the use of olive leaf extract may lower the risk of microbial infection in the intestinal and respiratory tracts. All this means that if your dog gets kennel cough, olive leaf extract will fight off the bacteria.
- Arthritis Relief: Phytonutrients give olive leaf its anti-inflammatory qualities, which can help reduce arthritis symptoms and heart problems as well as chronic pain. That makes olive leaf a useful natural arthritis remedy. Other studies have shown that olive leaf extract lessens the chronic pain of osteoarthritis, as it reduces the production of cytokines and enzymes that are markers for the inflammatory process.
- Antioxidant: Olive leaf is rich in antioxidants that reduce free radical activity within the body. Free radicals are natural products of metabolism, but needs to be controlled with antioxidants or they can harm the body at a cellular level. This is oxidative stress and it can lead to cancer and other diseases. Antioxidants block free radical activity, helping the body in disease prevention. Olive leaf has 400% more antioxidant power than vitamin C and 200% more than green tea.
- Fight Yeast: Olive leaf is antifungal, which makes it effective in treating many kinds of fungus including yeast infections (candida) in your dog’s ears or on its skin.
- Control Blood Sugar: The oleuropein in olive leaf lowers blood sugar by slowing the digestion of starches and reducing the absorption of sugars from the intestine. If your pet is already taking diabetes drugs, consult your holistic vet before giving olive leaf as your pet may need its medication adjusted.
For general use as a supplement, in powdered form:
- Small Dog 1/4 teaspoon daily
- Medium Dog 1/2 teaspoon daily
- Large Dog 1 teaspoon daily
Are there any drug interactions I should be aware of?
The following medications should be used with caution when given with olive leaf: blood pressure medications or insulin.